Friday, February 25, 2005

Grown Folks

Hey y'all! I was really excited to write this post. Last night I went to this open mic night called The Blue. It was my second time and its just so much fun. Its like a lil intimate gathering joining people and music. It was beautiful....So grown folk. It at a club in Hampton called Crabbers. It reminds me of the scene from Love Jones when they are in the poetry club. I remember thinking when I was younger thats what I wanted life to be like when I grew up. Well versed in art and literature, quoting famous writers......

Now not to be a traitor to my generation, but I would so prefer sitting and listening to some jazz to having some sweaty stranger grind up on me three hours. Don't get me wrong I like to shake it on the dance floor as much as the next girl, but honestly I'd rather do it by myself. I wanna two step like the grown folks do. My lil sis and I were talking about trying to get our school to throw a real grown folks party with classic old jams..... The Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder, Donnie Hathaway, Aretha Franklin......So romantic.

I dont think I have ever been the clubbing type. I've been to many but I hate going home smelling like smoke and people only go there for one reason, to leave with someone at the end of the night. AND the thought that there are men my fathers' age up in there eyeing me, disgusts me more than I can say. Knowing my father he would be up in there too because he thinks he's young. I can see him now in his black netted shirt with a drink in his hand, gold tooth just blingin, looking for his 4th or 5th wife........*shaking my head*. Thats my daddy y'all.... Anyway its just nice to see people my age who share in my interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment