Wednesday, March 30, 2005

We ALL black folks! Let's unite!

Dave Chappelle~Black Bush


This is something that bothers me....On thefacebook.com people can create their own groups about anything they want. Each school has its own groups.....Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for being proud of how you look, self esteem and all that, but at Hampton they have all these groups called 'Light-skinned is where its at', 'The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice' and there are more that you can join based on your skin tone. I refuse to join any of these groups because I feel that they are segratory (Yes I just made up my own word to describe these groups). Being at a Black college, I feel we should be more about unifying ourselves rather than separating ourselves according to color. We have enough problems with other races segregating us from society as a whole and it needs to stop before we begin to contribute to the economy as tax-paying citizens. I think we are only playing into the roles that have been created for us by people trying to keep us down. Not to sound all militant or anything, but you have to admit that the stigmas are there. That's my piece.

1 comment: