Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ya think ya know, but ya don't

I've decided to look into the fine art of Christian dating. I believe it has to be an art because it's hard to do and it must take some type of creativity to do it.

At this point, I find myself on strike from dating or even thinking about dating for several reasons.

  1. Distraction. I have a lot on my plate right now, no need to get caught up in someone else.
  2. Fear that I might do something wrong and end up ten steps back in my walk.
  3. I never really look at men here in Tulsa. They're either attracted to other races, not attractive (to me), a waste of time, or just not interesting. In other words WACK.

But while I'm busy I might as well learn how to date so that when it comes time, I'll know what to do.

When Myles Monroe came to visit my church he said, "If at any point someone can tell you WHY they love you, they no longer love you. If they use the words 'When, if, only or always' they don't love you because those words are conditional. Love is unconditional.'

I actually bought his book called Waiting and Dating. It says that the world we live in has reversed the order in which we are supposed to have a meaningful relationship. In the world you get to know someone physically first, then intellectually, then spiritually. When it should be that you find out about where a person is spiritually, intellectually, then physically (in the confines of marriage).

One thing I learned in the book that was interesting was that engagement is the first stage of marriage. In other words when you make that promise to marry, you are already in a convenant relationship with that person. In the Bible if a woman was engaged she would already be known as that man's wife and in order for it to be broken it would require a divorce. They would be known as a married couple but not to the greatest degree. That comes when the marriage is consumated with sex on the wedding night.

It's an interesting book. At this point I am at the first stage of dating: Learning to be alone. I'm taking care of business while I'm at it.

3 comments:

  1. I encourage you on your quest. It sounds like you are on a positive path. I like that: learning to be alone before one can learn to be with another. You're very strong and brave. Does your church have a singles ministry? I think when you least expect it you'll find an amazing man and you'll be plenty ready for him... I'm just trying every day not to be led into temptation and be delivered from evil, but oh man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1367

    Hey arrienne i know you said something about three 6 mafia before so I thought this link would help they have a video tape on the bootom of the page

    danni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that interview, but I don't really believe em. If they really feel that way they need the change their name. Ain't no way you for God and got a name like Three 6 Mafia. Even if I knew nothing else about them that name would turn me off and it has. They just trying to keep that bad publicity out.

    ReplyDelete