Sunday, February 26, 2006

Can you just be silent?

Vegas was lovely. To some people's disappointment I didn't do the regular stuff you're expected to do when you go there. Didn't really see the sights that much, it was all about the business. I went to a fashion trade show called the Magic Show. I ate well though.

My phone gets turned off the day before I leave. I paid the bill only to find that I got NO service in my room.

Mission 1. Find a place to get service in Vegas.

On Tuesday, we get up but are late to the show because my cousin Farah doesn't know the meaning of "on time" or "time management" for that matter. Also along for the ride are her husband, his business partner Brother Frank, Frank's wife and 1 yr. old daughter. Now for some reason Frank doesn't think that we are on this trip for the same reason that he is so he asks if his wife can roll with us. Farah's like, "I'm not here to baby-sit some grown woman." Despite all that, Frank's wife tried to keep up with us, but I think we ran her into the ground. She stayed in the hotel for the rest of the week. If it hadn't been for the baby she would have been alone the whole time. Good thing there was an amusement park and circus in our hotel.

Bonus of the day: we found that we could get free breakfast and lunch at this one accessories show. Fully packed delicious lunches. Another bonus being that you get all kinds of free bags at these shows.

Mission 2: Get all the free stuff you can.

Now with all the people there, there were so many fine-lookin males all up and through there. I had to resist temptation. That was not the point of my trip. Plus, there's no reason to get distracted while out of town. I had to keep my sexy to a minimum and put on my business face. I attempted to keep from staring because holding the gaze for more than 2 seconds is flirting.

Mission 3: Stay focused.

Now Farah had a problem with Bro. Frank from before this trip. She feels like he's always in competition with her for her husband's attention. Every time Bro. Frank entered the room there was a noticeable scowl on Farah's face. She would constantly be telling him off and he'd say,"That's why I love you Farah! You just real!" Throughout the week this man became my spiritual sandpaper, consistently rubbing me the wrong way. His incessant talking, always volunteering information that is neither necessary nor interesting. He made me feel like he was patronizing me when talking because of my age, sex and lack of life experience. That's a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand when people treat me like I'm stupid. Then he would act all surprised when I knew something.

I felt mad insecurity coming from him because of the way he uses all these unnecessary and sometimes made up words to make himself sound intelligent which only made him sound ignorant. Another way he would try to make himself sound intelligent is by quoting the Bible. I have to give him props on that the man knows his Bible. Either that or he was just quoting the scriptures he knows. Before I get on him too badly, I have no doubt that the man is real with his relationship with the Lord because he is quick to humble himself and ask forgiveness when he feels he's made a mistake. I believe that's the conviction of the Lord. But the tension between he and Farah made it so uncomfortable that I was SO grateful I had my OWN room to retreat to. By the end of the week I was sick of all of 'em.

Mission 4: Keep my sanity and keep the peace.

Everyday was exhausting. Waking up at 6am to get out to the shows and walk around all day, carrying heavy bags and talking to people until 6pm. At the beginning of the week I was trying to be business-like and one day I actually wore heels. By the end of that day I was in flats and by the end of the week I was in sneakers.

When I get tired I get cranky so that might explain why Bro. Frank was getting to me by the end of the week. I was wiped out by the time I got home.

Highlights:

It was really exciting being the ground floor of a business. I saw what it would be like to have my own business. It started not to matter to me whether I got the call from the other place. Even though it would be a wonderful salary and experience, if what I'm looking for in a career is the opportunity to advance then this definitely it. I can be creative and Farah values my opinion which is great! When we start making some real money, I'll have to start negotiating my salary. Right now I'm paying off my plane ticket and hotel fee.

I feel blessed that Farah believes in me. That's all I need. I believe in her too which is why I don't mind helping her get off the ground. She gave me a lotta responsibility with helping to pick the merchandise in the store. Meaning if it doesn't sell, it's on me.

The experience of being at this trade show was awesome. It was a fashionista's dream! So many clothes. My eyes could barely take it all in.

I got a call from my mother saying that my baby missed me. She was saying all sad,"Auntie Kikaa". Awwww. I guess it came from us staying home sick together last week. It's so sad to see a sick baby. All she would do is lay on my lap, she would barely even eat. It hurt my heart. She was better in a couple days though. My sister and I taught her to do the "Maniac" dance from Flashdance. She's good at it!

I love traveling. It's so nice to see somewhere new for a change. I'd never been to that side of the country before.

The only starrahs I saw were Kid Capri and Sugar Hill Gang. Tiff told me to keep that to myself, but hey whatever.

I found that I could get some service by my window and in between the two hotel beds.

All in all, it was a good time.

1 comment: