Thursday, January 28, 2010

What is your gift?

I was having a conversation with my friend the other day about what we want to do with the rest of our lives. We were talking about the career goals we have. I said, “I can do a lot it’s just whether I want to use my gifts or not.” I received my degree in marketing and I am still very intrigued with business. And she said, “I thought you wanted to design.” I just don’t know if I want to have to create something on schedule. I do draw. I’ve even considered going to design school. I also sing, but I don’t wanna be a singer. She asked this thought provoking question: Do gifts have to be used where they are seen? So I decided to ponder this question for myself because I don’t know any of y’all.

Well my personal view on gifts is that they should be used to glorify the Lord and not ourselves. That’s one of the reasons I’ve never wanted to be famous. I know many people who can sing and then are asked, ‘Why aren’t you on the praise team or choir?’ myself included. Don’t get me wrong, I love to sing and I love music. But does everyone need to hear me? I have a friend who is wonderfully anointed at leading praise and worship, but I think that may be all people would see when they look at her. I think people get tired of being exploited for their gifts. But that’s not my case.

I’ve never really taken the time to develop the natural gifts I have. I just simply do…or don’t. Now the Bible says to use your gifts to help others. I know this because I just looked it up. 1 Peter 4:10. Sidebar: I wonder if celebrities think they are helping others…then again that may not be their motivation.

Back to me: Perhaps I simply want to sing for my own enjoyment or just as worship. Or dance in my living room. How worse off would the world be if we had never heard or seen Michael Jackson? I guess we would never know. It’s almost like that ‘if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it’ riddle. You still have a gift, whether people know it or not. I think what is important is that the right people get to see it. Those who you are supposed to help achieve their next level should experience your gifting. At the end of the day we are all people who want to be special and unique. Just because your gift isn’t on a stage doesn’t mean it’s not special.

1 comment:

  1. very well put, my friend. i am always reminded of the talent parable in the Bible. i truly believe that parable is not just about using your "talents" but using them for God's glory and not your own (hoarding talents/gifts is using your talents for your own glory). if we were given that mentality, i think it wouldn't be such an issue to use our gifts.

    ReplyDelete