Sunday, January 17, 2010

Black Women Unmarried?

I recently saw a Nightline interview with four successful black women between the ages of 26-31. The subject of the investigation was how these women may never marry for a number of reasons in America. Perhaps we should all move to Africa where there’s no shortage of Black men. Apparently all our men in America are either in jail, uneducated or unemployed. After you get rid of those undesirables there are only 54% of black males left to choose from and they just so happened to leave out homosexuals. So now we’re like at maybe 35% or less.

You know what? I apologize for my sarcasm because I was very conflicted while watching this segment. At first I was kind of in shock. I could see every one of my friends in the video. Then I was angry: what are they trying to prove? What is the purpose and what is the solution? As Steve Harvey pops into the picture as the latest genius of relationships, he says they should date older men.

I think we all have something in common, that we are not willing to settle for the sake of having the title MRS. In fact I know women who DO settle and still aren’t married. Tell me what to do different. I’m not sure I would do it but it would have given more credibility to making this segment seem like it was meant to inform rather than discourage. It made black women seem as if we are at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. Like men have their choice of women and a black woman would be their LAST choice. Also they pointed out that perhaps our problem is that we actually want to marry black men.

But Nightline if no one wants us, what do we do? Do we lose all hope for marital bliss? And not to mention that getting married is NOT the same as staying married. Well I'm a Believer and I know the devil is a liar. So I think if the devil would want us to be depressed and discouraged this would be just the angle to use. WhatI choose to do is trust in the Lord and make sure I am prepared when the time does come as it WILL. Just mark my words, I'm so confident in the what I speak I leave no room for doubt.

3 comments:

  1. I’m not sure I would do it but it would have given more credibility to making this segment seem like it was meant to inform rather than discouraged.

    I think you made some valid points. A popular saying I heard while growing up - if you watch the movie, you will see the show. I don't know if unmarried black woman are as bad as Nightline made everything out to be. But I do know there's a good chance it's more to the broadcast than meets the eye.

    Don't give up on us (black men) just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I haven't given up, but sometimes I think black men have given up on us. However, I won't be a statistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why settle? I agree! I want a marriage that will last, not just the title. But it is hard finding a male on my level or that isn't intimidated by my accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete