Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Short end of the stick

To put the issue to bed once and for all, I'm writing a response to a twitter discussion that involved quite a few people I know. A question sparked it all: As a tall woman, would you date a short man?


My response is no. It’s not for me. My reasoning? I'm simply not attracted to shorter men. There is not one shorter man than I could have seen myself being in a relationship with. Nor do I care to. The men involved in the discussion began to ask, 'You would turn down a perfectly good man just because of height?' To me that’s like asking a man, 'You would turn down a perfectly good woman because she's light skinned or flat chested or thick?' A question of prejudice? A matter of preference or is it a requirement? Whatever it may be, there's no changing my mind.


Now some of my tall sisters brought up being able to feel secure if their man is taller than them. And some said that it was the men that became insecure dating a taller woman. But while I was writing this I began to wonder, am I secure enough to date a short man? The answer is a swift and quick: NO. And that's not something I'm interested in building up my self esteem to do. Especially when I don't have to.


I am above average for a woman standing 5 feet 8 inches tall. I am taller than most men I come across especially with my heels on and I ain't stepping off my stilettos for nobody. I prefer my men to be taller. No, I'm not saying that just because you're tall that I will be interested. That's simply the first step. Now am I cutting myself off from a sea of men because of their height? Am I doomed to be single because I don't want to be able to put my arm around my man’s shoulders? Well if you think those are the consequences, just know that I thirst for no man and refuse to settle just to have one. I read that God will provide the desires of my heart if I delight myself in Him. Trust me, I'm delighted.


Matchmaker Paul C. Brunson says height is what most women he comes across site as a ’non-starter'. Or something that automatically cuts a man from their dating pool. He mentions that there are on 14% of the male population that are over 6 ft tall. He obviously feels that in the world of matchmaking women are selling themselves short (no pun intended). However, I feel that 14% is more than enough for me. I only need ONE. I tend to look on the bright side of things.


Therefore I don't believe I'm missing out just because of my preference (requirement). I am simply aware of what I like.

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not. I agree with your stance. lol. You shouldn't settle, you should go for what you want. And those desires God wants you to have. I apologize if I come off antagonistic, although in the short time i've known u, I know u don't care, lol. Ur thick skinned so we can be friends. Good post.

    ReplyDelete