Monday, September 26, 2011

Generation Gap?

From what I'm told, I don't "look" my age. But honestly, I don't think people know what people my age look like. I think they're expecting something else. Anywho, I looked up one day and all of my close friends are 4+ years younger than I am. This is fine because I don’t think I look like the odd older chick trying to stay relevant with the kids.


Plus we are in the same stage of life; Single, post-college career women with no children. However, they are not as far removed from college as I am. It’s OK for them to have friends in college and date college age men. Not so much for me. I guess my question is: Where are my peers? And more importantly: where are the men my age?


They all can't be married with children.... Although most of my classmates I know are. As far as age is concerned I don't see myself going much younger than 24-25 or older than 33. I've read about women dating younger men. Does it really work? I don't really know any in real life. My dad is 3 years younger than my mom and that didn't end well. But in my eyes my dad is probably younger than I am....so that doesn't say much for older men either. Hm.


Welp. I'm sure folks would say don't concentrate too much on age, it’s all about maturity. Kinda like in the retail world we would tell women it’s not about the size of the dress, but about the fit. This is totally true. Some women won't even try on a bigger size because of the number in it. Because it represents something they never wanted to identify with themselves. But what they fail to realize is that companies manufacture things differently. An ill-fitting garment can look worse than if you had just gone up a size. I hope that metaphor came across well. I said all that to say, it’s not about the number. However, that doesn't mean it’s going to feel comfortable.


I can't see myself dating a 22 year old. But I would be willing to go for it once just to prove myself right.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. I have no clue how old you are, but I have a similar problem. I feel out of place trying to be apart of my church's youth group (SoFly), being that I'm a few months shy of 30 with a wife and 3 kids. Meh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL! You know Im jaded, I have no idea where the men are our age ready for something other than sex and fun. I have given up looking. Being in DC a city filled with women that have jobs and doing for themselves and guys just want to play in between all of them. Im sure for some women marriage is where they want to end up but I have given up on that dream and Im creating new ones

    ReplyDelete
  3. It pains me when i see or read about women giving up on the idea of marriage because of some percieved lack of good men. Anyway, I actually can understand a woman not wanting to date a younger guy. Especially dudes in the 20-24 age range. Something about those ages just don't reflect maturity. lol. Even though I got married at 22, looking back I'd have waited until at least 25, those three years make a huge difference in a man's maturity level and psyche. Good post again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jason I'm somewhere btwn 25 and 33...No I'll say it. I'm 28. But as my cousin told me, we need to be there to mentor the youngins at SoFly. That's why I keep going.

    @Dani I'ma keep the hope alive for both of us but you might find a man before I do! lol

    @Laurent note taken, I'll stick to my parameters.

    ReplyDelete