Thursday, May 03, 2012

Girls with Dads

This post comes from listening to a conversation with a couple of my co-workers. One of them is getting married and she said soon her dad is going to hand all her bills to her husband. The other remarked that her dad already warned her boyfriend that he has to get her nails done. Mind blowing stuff to me. I was in awe and a little jealous at the same time.

Is that what dads do? I mean I have one, but he's always been pretty uninvolved. Love him, however parenting was not his strong suit. These are the dads who set expectations for how men should treat their daughters. Taught their daughters  what it feels like to be protected. Not to have a care that their dad didn't at least try to provide. That's not the case with me. Ok yeah, daddy issues....we all have 'em. But it set me up a lil differently. I didn't look to any man to provide, care or love me. If they tried, I wonder what's the motive? I did sometimes wish to have the dad who take the guy who was interested in me to the side and have a talk with him about his intentions.

Also I wonder are their dads setting them up for disappointment? Will they find men who live up to their father's standards. Because they know what to look for, are they able to miss the deadbeats? I know there's exceptions, but isn't it better to start off optimistic rather than suspicious?

Oh, I don't know. I know one thing though. The father of my children will be available well into their adult years. No choice what so ever.

1 comment:

  1. This so ties in to our convo last sunday. Good insight.

    ReplyDelete