Sunday, April 01, 2012

Timeless debate

There's seems to always seem to be a debate among church people about secular music. Sin or not? And when it comes down to it, my personal stance is that no of course its not a sin to listen to secular music. But should it be the main form of music you listen to as a Christian? No, of course not. We have given our lives to God as a reasonable sacrifice for Him doing the same. Why wouldn't we listen to music about Him? Sing to Him? About Him? It makes sense to me that you would want to sing about the one you love.

My main reason for bringing up this topic is that church people always want to debate the issue so that they can be released to listen to secular music. But I wonder why is it such an issue? Would it be such a problem to listen to gospel or Christian music majority of the time? And why? There are as many varieties of Christian music as there are secular.

And if you as a Christian believe you will dwell with the Father, you will be glorifying Him all day anyway. And its all you will want to do. So really where's the beef? Oh wait, I know. You're tired of people saying you are not saved if you listen to secular music. Welp. That's really between you and the Father. And if  you don't fill your mind with thoughts that glorify Him, it won't be long before you aren't.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this post. THe secular music thing used to be an issue. I've learned tho, what convicts me or doesnt, isnt the same for everyone else. I listen to what I listen to, but i dont diss anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it's not so much about defining what's sin and what's not...but more about what draws you away to sin. Music is a current carrying lyrics full of messages that can subliminally make a person numb to sinful ways if they allow it to. It's original intent and what I believe it should still be for is a powerful tool for the kingdom of God. If the world can use subliminal messaging and be bold abt their sinful lifestyles, why can't we do the same for Christ's namesake? I make "secular" music with a message full of Scriptural references. Lyrics contain messages, music sends signals. We should point to heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosign Mel. I agree. I've thrown away too much music, only to go back and get it again. Now i understand that its about being drawn away, some stuff i dont rock with, others i'm cool. Nicole only listens to worship and thats her thing. I dont knock it, and she doesnt knock me.

    ReplyDelete